By: Melissa Murphy on March 30th, 2023
How to Fast Track Your Career and Create a Personal Brand: Lessons from Ken Schmidt
Event Ideas | Ken Schmidt | Personal Branding | Reputation Building | Career Development | Customer Loyalty | Authentic Leadership | Networking
WHAT ARE YOU DOING TO BE MEMORABLE?
“How do you want to be talked about and what are you doing to make that happen?,” asks KEN SCHMIDT, who knows a thing or two about creating strategies for cutting through the noise and getting noticed from his storied career during the turnaround of Harley-Davidson. Ken reminds people that we are a story-telling species and getting noticed by customers or even in your own organization is about being memorable.
Personal branding has never been more important. As businesses and organizations compete for top talent, having a strong personal brand sets you apart and can help you fast-track your career. But what exactly is a personal brand, and how do you build one that will make a lasting impact?
In Ken’s entertaining and informative talk, "Rev It Up: Fast Track Your Career," he shares strategies that help people build a personal brand that sets them apart. Saying or doing what people expect doesn’t make you – or your business – stand out.
BE INTERESTED – NOT INTERESTING
KEN SCHMIDT: Be Interested – Not Interesting
It's not enough to just be good at what you do. You also need to be able to build strong relationships with others and make a lasting impact. Ken's advice to "be interested, not interesting" is a powerful reminder that personal branding is about putting people at the center of your focus.
When you're genuinely interested in others, you build trust and rapport, which can lead to new opportunities and career advancement. In fact, a recent study by LinkedIn found that 85% of all jobs are filled through networking, so being interested in others is a key factor in career success.
By focusing on others and showing genuine interest in their lives, you can create a strong personal brand that sets you apart and helps you achieve your career goals.
THESE THREE KEY QUESTIONS HELP BUILD YOUR PERSONAL BRAND
KEN SCHMIDT: How to Make People Loyal To You
Ken shares three key questions that are crucial to building a memorable personal brand:
-What are people saying about you now? Are they recognizing your unique talents and contributions, or are you blending into the crowd?
-What do you want them to say? Think about what you want people to say about you in the future. Do you want to be known as a leader, an innovator, or a team player?
-What are you doing to get them to say it? Consider the actions you can take to get people to say what you want them to say. This may involve taking on new projects, building stronger relationships with colleagues, or seeking out opportunities to showcase your skills.
By answering these questions and actively working towards building a strong personal brand, you can create loyal relationships with others and fast-track your career success.
ACTIONABLE TAKEAWAYS FROM KEN SCHMIDT’S KEYNOTE
“Ken Schmidt was wonderful. We have heard so many positive comments from our attendees. I thoroughly enjoyed his insight and common-sense approach to business. It really resonated when he mentioned that consumers are loyal to the people behind the business. His humanistic, common-sense approach to business relates to all types of businesses.”
– Managing Director, CIBC Bank
SUPPLEMENTAL READING: Ken's Speaker Page
Ken unpacks a set of strategies people can use to fast-track their careers and stand out:
- Identifying your unique qualities and how you want to be remembered. By doing so, you can craft a personal brand that sets you apart and helps you stand out.
- Hearing ways to make others feel good about themselves. By showing genuine interest in others and their work, you can build strong relationships that last a lifetime.
- Learning how to take an active role in meetings and actively participate. By speaking up, sharing your ideas, and asking questions, you can demonstrate your value and contribute to the success of your team.
- Understanding that by encouraging others to share their stories, you can then share yours. This builds trust and a sense of community, and it also helps you develop your own brand narrative.
- Ways to continuously improve your personal brand by focusing on R&R (Remember & Repeat). By identifying what works and what doesn’t, and then repeating the behaviors that lead to success, you can build a strong, positive reputation that will help you achieve your career goals.
About Melissa Murphy
Melissa Murphy is Manager of Client Services & Special Projects at D’Amelio Network. An experienced speaking industry professional, she’s found that working with experts whose ideas have the potential to create positive change suits her passion for learning and boundless curiosity. Melissa enjoys getting creative with marketing initiatives, building relationships with industry partners, and being a resource for event professionals.